Thursday, May 10, 2007

tools

I love photography. There's a definite enjoyment in seeing an object or scene and capturing it for memory; and like any art, you've never quite conquered it. There's always a new challenge and new tool and new opportunity.
And also like any other art, your tools can make your artform easier or harder to create. I feel that an artist is born an artist. You can teach them new techniques, introduce them to new tools; but the art is inside of them, not taught.
The more photos that I shoot (20,000 +), the more I realize that my tools are either a sharpened pencil or a torn canvas. Have fun checking out my sharpened pencils as I explain how I think they have enabled me to raise my photography to a new level:

Nikon D50.
- I literally am exploding into this tool. For 27 months I used a 4megapixel Kodak point and shoot. I loved the vibrant colors, the small size, the burst mode... It was a great camera, but last fall I realized that in order to really learn photography, I'd need a dSLR. I've got one now. It feels comfortable already. I'm learning about apertures, exposures, and so much more. I've got such a huge amount to learn about shooting just with the 18-55mm lens that I have now. Incredible.

Aperture, Lightroom, iPhoto, or Picasa
- serious photography: Aperture or Lightroom
Priced identically ($299) and aimed for basically the same purpose; basic photo manipulation and organization. I chose Aperture, although from the many blogs that I've read, Lightroom excel in organization, something that I typically struggle with. I've enjoyed two tools immensely; the Loupe is fantastic - pixel for pixel viewing is great, and the ability to preview the photos in full screen and filter them by statistics with keyboard shortcuts is fantastic. Since Lightroom is for XP or Mac, Windows have only one choice.
- casual photography: iPhoto or Picasa
iPhoto 6 for the Mac (included on any new Mac, $79 in iLife '06) and Picasa 2 (free from Google) for Windows or Linux both make great organization easily accessible. Both allow for importing, emailing, screensavers, and basic editing. iPhoto allows for "smart folders" -folders based on user-defined qualifications (favorites, 4 stars, family group, etc.); some medium level editing, and fantastic integration with the other "iApps." Picasa continually scans for new photos on any portion of your harddrive, organizes your photos based on your file structure in Windows, and doesn't require fantastic hardware.

MacBook 2ghz, 1.5gb, 160gb
- I've owned at least one Mac since I was 15. I'm sold on them. But laptop vs. desktop was a constant struggle until I got my MacBook. It is just as fast as any iMac (ok, the brand new 24incher has a 23% advantage plus a dedicated video card), and it's size is so convenient. Having a notebook is so convenient and being able to edit, store, upload, import, and anything else anywhere that I please (within reason - have to have wireless for some things...) is addicting. I don't think I can go back. Now if someone can get me a 700gb drive for my MacBook...


have a good night. :)

No comments: